Wednesday 31 July 2013

Introduction to new cultures

Around circa 1998-99, when I was back in Pune after about 2 decades of absence and exposure to the culture and thought, I had many odd re-acquainting experiences. It ranged from getting used to shops closing at unexpected times, to the recalcitrance of rickshaw drivers to carry me as a fare, even when I offered a premium, to the power cuts. Neither of the three examples I have offered were, to me, familiar to from the other part of India that composed my experience in the nation. I was truly experiencing the other India, something I was told by some when growing in Bombay/बम्बै/मुंबई .

The incident that even today, after a decade and half that recurs is when I refused to just toss the newspaper in which some food a friend and I had purchased, but waited to find a rubbish can. I was disappointed to not find any. After a couple of hours we reached Pune Railway Station, where we bought platform tickets (think we were going in to receive a friend who was arriving), which had many such receptacles. Gratefully, I rushed forth and tossed the crumpled sheets of paper into the can. It disappeared for a brief moment, and then reappeared at my feet. I repeated this, at least once more, and then left the ball of paper to its own devices.

I might have learned that even paper, usually made from organic materials, its it own organism and I need to learn to leave it to its own devices.



 

6 comments:

  1. Our culture/s, is/are the most enigmatic in the world. Primarily because we have a highly mobile populace constantly on the move between different languages/cultures with no stake in local matters. Add to this our national attitude of chalta hai and you have a remarkable value system of I, me and mine and devil take the hindmost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did this 'how the west was won' culture develop so organically. I'd like to see if this can go beyond typical discussion of disillusionment of public serves, et al.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here as in this post? Of offline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would prefer face to face for such profound discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. We should and shall meet soon. Anytime this week, generally is good.

    ReplyDelete